I must admit that prior to creating my Instagram account, I didn’t even know the difference between crêpes and pancakes… Rather embarassing now I think back to it, however for those of you who are able to relate to me in that avenue, allow me to enlighten you.
Put simply, pancake batter is much thicker than crêpe batter, and the recipe usually includes rising agents (baking powder/ soda) in greater amounts, thus giving pancakes the fluffy and inflated shape. On the other hand, crêpes are much larger and thinner in shape, which enables them to serve as the perfect wrap for both savory and sweet fillings.
Alright, that’s enough of my rambling, now onto my long awaited pancake recipe, along with my top serving suggestions.
Basic Healthy Pancakes
1/4c. wholemeal flour
1/4tsp. baking powder
1/8tsp. baking soda
1/2- 1tsp. maca
1 flax egg
5tbsp. mashed banana
1tbsp. liquid sweetener (honey, maple syrup, agave)
1. Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls
2. Slowly fold wet into dry, do not over mix
3. Heat pan on low heat and grease with olive oil or coconut oil, scoop approx. 1tbsp onto the pan and shape into a circle
4. When bubbles begin forming and edges firm up, flip and cook on other side. Repeat with remainder of batter
5. Serve with favorite toppings (See below for my favorites!)
My Top Serving Suggestions
Mixed berry compote:
1/3c. frozen mixed berries
1/3 lemon juice
1. Add berries with scant amount of water to saucepan to form a thick sauce, stir to combine
2. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the mixture, to desired consistency and taste
Pan seared Banana and Buckwheat:
1 banana (sliced lengthwise, then in half)
1. Heat pan on medium, and grease. Add the slices of banana and buckwheat.
2. Let cook for approx. 5min, remembering to stir buckwheat and flip the bananas.
3. When a golden colour is achieved, remove and serve.
(For extra sweetness, add coconut sugar to the mixture)
Cacao Chocolate Sauce:
1/2tbsp. coconut oil
1/2tsp. honey (or choice of liquid sweetener)
1. Mix all ingredients together well, should be slightly viscous
2. Pour over your pancakes and devour
Almond Cacao Sauce
1tbsp. almond butter
1tsp. maple syrup
splash of almond milk
1. Mix first three ingredients until well combined.
2. Add almond milk till desired consistency is achieved.
Basic “Ice Cream”
1-2 frozen banana(s)
splash of almond milk
1. Blitz up in blender, until well combined.
2. If too runny return to freezer for 5-10min
Simple: maple syrup/ agave/ coconut nectar, nut butters, yogurt, fresh fruits.
Love, Jenny xxx