Dates are one of my favorite foods (along with bananas of course!) Not only are they the perfect sweet juicy treat, but they can also be used to create a creamy caramel flavor.
Here is another one of my twists on buckwheat porridge flavors, this recipe can be altered for oatmeal as well!
Please remember to soak your buckwheat in water overnight. Phytic acid is an acid present in nuts, grains and legumes. Therefore soaking these foods is essential for proper digestion and absorption of their nutrients.
Creamy Sweet Caramel Buckwheat Porridge
1/2c. buckwheat groats
1c. almond milk
1 mashed banana
8 medjool dates (pitted)
1/3c. water or non dairy milk
1/2tsp. vanilla extract
1tsp. lucuma powder
1. Boil buckwheat in water, for approx 3-4 minutes.
2. Once water is absorbed add 1/2 of the almond milk and the mashed banana, stir regularly.
3. Blend up the dates, vanilla, lucuma and milk/ water
4. Once milk is absorbed add in the remaining milk, and caramel mixture, cook until desired consistency is achieved.
4. Pour out and serve with favorite toppings immediately.
Love, Jenny xxx