Not sure about you, but there are those specific tastes that bring back beautiful memories. Gingerbread is one of those, my nana used to bake beautiful Dutch gingerbread cookies for me, they weren’t too spiced or sweet, just perfect! So here is my attempt to recreate that taste in my breakfast oatmeal, and I must say, I think I did a fairly good job!
Sweet and Spiced Gingerbread Oatmeal
3/4c. almond milk
1tsp. blackstrap molasses
1/4tsp. freshly grated ginger (powder will suffice)
1 mashed banana (optional- adds to the creaminess and sweetness)
1tbsp. vanilla essence (depending on the sweetness you prefer)
1/4tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg (to taste, depending on the amount of spice you prefer)
1. Bring water to boil in a saucepan and add the oats, on low heat.
2. When water is mainly absorbed, add a little almond milk and stir continuously.
3. Add half the banana and continue stirring, when liquid is absorbed add more almond milk.
4. Add the rest of the banana, and almond milk in accordance to consistency.
5. Add the spices and vanilla essence based on personal taste preferences.
6. When desired consistency has been reached, pour out and devour!
Love, Jenny xxx